Every reader of the Bible has encountered the powerful, comforting and sometimes puzzling imagery of Scripture. These images, with their hidden force, make lasting impressions with God-inspired power and eloquence. Their imprint has etched itself on the language and grammar of Christian faith and Western culture.
The Dictionary of Biblical Imagery is the first contemporary reference work dedicated to exploring the images, symbols, motifs, metaphors and literary patterns found in the Bible. More than that, it examines the Bible's universal archetypes or master images and includes the plot motifs and character types that recur throughout biblical life and literature.
The Dictionary of Biblical Imagery goes beyond traditional Bible dictionaries and reference works by offering engaging explanations of the verbal pictures found throughout the Bible. In it you will find insight into the artistic expressions and the musical meanings that echo from within Scripture.
This unique reference, a Christianity Today Book of the Year, explores the dazzling variety in which the Word of God comes dressed in clothes of everyday life. It traces the trail of images from Eden to the New Jerusalem. It captures the plotted patterns of biblical narrative. It surveys the imaged texture of each book of the Bible. In short, The Dictionary of Biblical Imagery is an inviting, enlightening and indispensable companion to the reading, study, contemplation and enjoyment of the Bible.
Features & Benefits
• Hundreds of articles on images, similies, metaphors and motifs of Scripture
• Encyclopedic scope--covers many topics not found in ordinary Bible dictionaries
• Accessible – includes complete explanations of challenging concepts
• Fascinating for browsing
• Dozens of expert contributors
• Includes entries on all the important images essential to biblical and contemporary ltural literacy
• Helps readers understand the overall significance of the Bible's imagery
• Great resource for Bible study, teaching and preaching