Girdlestone's Synonyms of the Old Testament is a classic reference tool which provides accurate, thorough definitions and information to enhance any word study. It covers 27 major categories and almost 300 subjects, and is designed be used by those who understand little or no Hebrew
Numerically coded to Strong's numbers for ease of use, this work is also indexed by Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek words, scripture references and subjects. An essential resource for those seeking to increase their understanding of the Old Testament.
To access the Girdlestone's article, go to the Greek or Hebrew word list menu, select the "By Strong's Number" menu, "Old Testament" and finally Girdlestone's Synonyms of the Old Testament. Enter an Old Testament Strong's Number. If Girdlestone's has any information on that particular number it will light the "Okay" button. To get a picture of the expansiveness of the Girdlestone articles, you may want to open it from the Books menu above the left-hand navigation column. You may also find information quickly by searching on the Hebrew transliterations, such as korban for offering and nagash meaning to draw near.
Features included are:
- Several hundred articles provide incredible thematic and semantic detail on an impressive array of Hebrew words and their synonyms.
- Extended commentary on select passages covered in the text is available through the Additional Commentary section of Commentaries.
- Indexes include usages of both Hebrew and Greek words, as well as an English list of topics covered.
- The author's transliteration scheme is quickly and completely searchable.
- With Version 5.2 all passages, topics, Strong's Numbers and original language words contained in the PC Study Bible Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic database display when hovered over.
Grammar of the Septuagint Greek by Fredrick Conybeare and George Stock explains differences in the Koine Greek, in which the New Testament was written, and the classical Greek translation of the Old Testament which was utilized for the Septuagint. This is an ideal reader for anyone with some knowledge of Greek wishing to study the Septuagint in its original language.
Features included are:
- An extensive introduction to the origin, inspiration, date, supremacy, and Greek of the Septuagint; the grammar proper,
- Major sections covering inflectional morphology and syntax,
- Extensive selected readings which include in-depth introductions and
- Full textual and grammatical notes that are especially helpful for the student of New Testament Greek wishing to develop language skills through reading less familiar texts.
Helpful improvements include: new, updated indexes of ancient sources and significant Greek words from the readings; a convenient and complete vocabulary with definitions; and an alphabetical list of proper nouns from the readings, with translations.
The extended readings with verse-by-verse commentary, makes Grammar of Septuagint Greek a much more valuable way to learn how the underlying Hebrew was translated. Included are explanations of variant translations that differ from the Masoretic text, as well as analysis that clarifies difficult passages in the Hebrew.
All Old Testament and Apocrypha references are keyed to bring up the Septuagint text as a default. New Testament references are keyed to access the NA27. To allow for easy access to the Septuagint while in the textual commentary, every chapter and verse under discussion will be linked with the full Greek text of the verse available on hover with the Features-Plus 5.2 update add-on.
Also available: Biblical Language Studies Collection for the New Testament and for the Old and New Testaments for a special discount price.
This add-on is compatible with PC Study Bible Version 5 libraries. For it to operate, your computer must have a pre-installed Version 5 library. If an existing PC Study Bible program is not installed, a program-only version will be installed to run this add-on content. This add-on will not install or work properly with any pre-installed PC Study Bible program prior to Version 5.
The product photos shown on this page are for illustrative purposes only. All reference works are supplied on CD or via online download.