Shed new light on your Old Testament Study with this Up-to-Date and Critically-Acclaimed Two-Volume Dictionary Collection!
New archaeological findings. Ongoing conversations about history. Challenges to what has been accepted about Biblical texts. The two volumes of the Old Testament Dictionary Collection give you up-to-date scholarship on foundational concepts and timely debates about the Hebrew Scriptures. You get hundreds of in-depth articles from hundreds of expert scholars around the world sure to aid your study and research, equip your preaching and teaching and enrich your understanding of the Old Testament.
- Informs reading and research of the Old Testament
- In-depth articles
- Traditional and contemporary topics
- Authoritative overviews, detailed examinations and new insights
- Up-to-date biblical scholarship
- Accessible and original
- Evangelical in perspective and commitment
- Written by acknowledged experts from North America, the United Kingdom, Europe, Australia, New Zealand and Asia
- Valuable and extensive bibliographies
This Two-Volume Collection includes:
- Dictionary of the Old Testament: Pentateuch
- Dictionary of the Old Testament: Historical Books
Dictionary of the Old Testament: Pentateuch
2002 Logos Book Award Winner and ECPA Gold Medallion Finalist
The Dictionary of Old Testament: Pentateuch is designed to be your first stop in the study and research of the first five books of the Bible. This encyclopedic work is characterized by close attention to the text of the Old Testament and the ongoing conversation of contemporary scholarship. In exploring the major themes and issues of the Pentateuch, editors T. Desmond Alexander and David W. Baker, with an international and expert group of scholars, inform and challenge through authoritative overviews, detailed examinations and new insights from the world of the ancient Near East.
- Explores the major themes and contours of the Pentateuch
- Examines and weighs the historical issues surrounding the Pentateuch and poses possible solutions
- Offers an assessment of the questions surrounding Mosaic authorship and considers some possible ways forward for evangelical scholarship
Dictionary of the Old Testament: Historical Books
Edited by Bill T. Arnold and Hugh G. M. Williamson, the Dictionary of the Old Testament: Historical Books (DOTHB) picks up with Joshua and Israel poised to enter the land and carries you through the postexilic period.
The history of Israel has long been contested territory, but never more so than today. Much like the quest of the historical Jesus, a quest of the historical Israel is underway. At the heart of the quest to understand the history of Israel and the Old Testament's Historical Books is the struggle to come to terms with the conventions of ancient historiography. How did these writers conceive of their task and to whom were they writing? Clearly the Old Testament historians did not go about their task as we would today. The divine word was incarnated in ancient culture.
Rather than being a dictionary of quick answers and easy resolutions readily provided, the DOTHB seeks to set out the evidence and arguments, allowing a range of informed opinion to enrich the conversation. In this way it is hoped that the DOTHB will not only inform its readers, but draw them into the debate and equip them to examine the evidence for themselves.
- The only major reference book focusing exclusively on Israelite history and the Old Testament Historical Books
- Authoritative and accessible summaries of the latest scholarship from some of the world's preeminent scholars of the Old Testament and the ancient Near East
- Major articles on Joshua, Judges, Samuel, Kings, Chronicles, Ezra-Nehemiah
- Eight major articles covering the periods of Israelite history from settlement to post-exilic periods
- Introductory articles on ancient Near Eastern written sources pertinent to history of Israel
- Articles on Hebrew, Aramaic and Linguistics as well as interpretive methods, hermeneutics and preaching
- Critically engages the current scholarly quest for the historical Israel
New Testament Dictionaries in this series
If you have not yet purchased the New Testament Dictionary Collection , you may be interested in the six-volume collection. You will receive the two Old Testament volumes described above, and the New Testament volumes of:
- The Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels
- The Dictionary of Paul and His Letters
- The Dictionary of the Later New Testament & Its Developments
- The Dictionary of New Testament Background
This add-on is compatible with PC Study Bible Version 5 libraries. For it to operate, your computer must have a pre-installed Version 5 library. If an existing PC Study Bible program is not installed, a program-only version will be installed to run this add-on content. This add-on will not install or work properly with any pre-installed PC Study Bible program prior to Version 5.
The product photos shown on this page are for illustrative purposes only. All reference works are supplied on CD or via online download.