J.B. Phillips started his ministry as pastor to the Young People's Club at the Church of the Good Shepherd in London. Between 1947 and 1957, Phillips began translating the epistles from the Greek, as was his training at Cambridge University, to modern English paraphrase to be readily understood by his young-in-the-faith readers.
Phillips' initial releases such as Letters to Young Churches, a 1947 publication of his translation of the Epistles, and in 1952, The Gospels in Modern English, came together in the 1962 release of The New Testament in Modern English.
Phillips worked exclusively from his Greek Testament making no recourse to Authorized Version. His philosophy of translation as published in the Tranlator's Preface to Letters to Young Churches, was to:
1. As far as possible the language used must be such as is commonly spoken, written and understood at the present time.
2. When necessary, feel free to expand or explain, while preserving the original meaning as nearly as can be ascertained.
3. The Letters should read like letters, not theological treatises. Where the Greek is informal and colloquial, the English should be the same.
4. The translation (or in some cases, the paraphrase) should ‘flow’ and be easy to read. Artificial ‘verses’ should be discarded, though cross-headings can be introduced to divide the letters into what seem to be their natural sections.
5. Though every care must be taken to make the version accurate, the projected value of this version should lie in its ‘easy-to-read’ quality. For close meticulous study, existing modern versions should be consulted.
Phillips' translation is not tied to traditional versing and section heads, the layout is by phrase-by-phrase equivalents that cover verse ranges. This allows the Phillips translation to present full thoughts in a naturally-reading paragraph flow. You will find yourself becoming more involved with the overall direction of the narrative as it sheds new light on your favorite Bible books and passages.
This add-on is compatible with PC Study Bible Version 5 libraries. For it to operate, your computer must have a pre-installed Version 5 library. If an existing PC Study Bible program is not installed, a program-only version will be installed to run this add-on content. This add-on will not install or work properly with any pre-installed PC Study Bible program prior to Version 5.
The product photos shown on this page are for illustrative purposes only. All reference works are supplied on CD or via online download.