Hello. You can
or if you’re a new customer,
(Your shopping cart is empty)
Evangelical Hermeneutics: The New Versus the Old
Dr. Robert L. Thomas
Internet Download (No Ship Charge)
Mail Product on CD
Recent cultural trends in evangelism pose threats to the way the Bible is interpreted and taught
, Robert L. Thomas carefully chronicles and evaluates how Evangelicalism has emptied itself theologically by allowing novelty, experimentation and cultural trendiness to replace the historic, bedrock affirmations that characterize evangelical faith.
You will find
a foundational work for:
• Understanding significant changes in evangelical hermeneutics
• Examining new meanings being attached to “grammatical-historical interpretation”
• Comparing traditional grammatical-historical interpretation with new evangelical hermeneutics
• Identifying the dominant principles of the new evangelical hermeneutics
It’s a fascinating study that is not limited to an academic discussion. Divided into two parts, Thomas devotes the first 10 chapters to studying how:
• Long-standing definitions of words have been altered.
• The analogy of faith is misused and has grown more widespread
• The techniques of Bible translation have undergone extreme changes
• General revelation has increased in stature to the point of equaling special revelation
• Interpreters no longer limit each passage to a single meaning
• The application of Scripture has come to control interpretation of Scripture rather than vice versa
• The secular discipline of modern linguistics has elevated itself to a role of usurping the prerogatives of traditional exegesis
• The personal biases of the interpreter determines how the New Testament uses the Old Testament
• Literary genre can, in contemporary estimates, overrule traditional principles of interpretation
Each topic is treated in considerable detail including a helpful tabular summary of the points discussed. The chapters covering the principle of single meaning, and the New Testament use of the Old Testament are particularly useful as they illustrate the varied approaches taken by different interpreters.
The second half of the book comprises an additional 6 chapters which discuss the symptoms resulting from the departure from traditional historical grammatical hermeneutics documented in the first half. Thomas (with help from Paul W. Felix) examines the hermeneutics employed by progressive dispensationalism, evangelical feminism, evangelical missiology, theonomy, and open theism. In each case, the doctrinal deviations can be traced back to a shift in the foundational hermeneutics.
Don’t let revisionist hermeneutics cloud your understanding of how the Bible is to be interpreted and taught. Make Evangelical Hermeneutics a permanent part of your
PC Study Bible
This add-on is compatible with
PC Study Bible
. For it to operate, you must have a pre-installed Version 4 or 5 library.
The product photos shown on this page are for illustrative purposes only. All reference works are supplied on CD or via online download.
Product Code: EVANGELIB00476
Browse for more products in the same category as this item:
Theology and Doctrine
Share your knowledge of this product with other customers...
Be the first to write a review.
Recently Viewed Items
Save Big on New and Best Selling Add-ons!
The Sermon Notebook
CLC Bible Companion -- Edited by M.H. Manser
Biblical Language Studies Collection of the Old and New Testaments
Expositions of Holy Scripture
Dictionary of Bible Themes Bundle -- M.H. Manser
Open Your Bible Commentary -- Old and New Testament Volumes
The Works of H.A. Ironside 61-Volumes
The Cross of Christ: 20th Anniversary Edition
Spiritual Leadership: Moving People on to God’s Agenda
Reformation Classics Collection -- 331 Titles Including Works of Calvin, Luther and all Major Reformers
Boice's Expositional Commentaries (27-volume)
Charles C. Ryrie Library Collection -- 22 Volumes plus 29 Academic Articles
Baker Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament Series - Volumes 1–5
The Inspired Preaching Collection: 12-Volumes with The Hermeneutical Spiral Bonus title
The Geisler Christian Apologetics Collection - 8 Volumes
Christian Counseling Collection
The Expositor's Bible -- 42 Volumes
The William Webster Pillars of Faith Collection - 10 Volumes
Biblical Counseling Keys
The James R. White Contemporary Doctrine Collection - 6 Volumes
Biblical Language Studies Collection of the NT
Biblical Language Studies of the Old Testament Collection
Eerdman's Dictionary of the Bible
PC Starter Library with Features-Plus
User-Friendly Greek: A Common Sense Approach to the Greek New Testament
| Store |
Dealers & Churches
Copyright © 1988-2013 by BIBLESOFT, Inc.